FBLA members attend Spring Leadership Conference

Nora Allison

On March 6, FBLA members from the New River region attended George Wythe High School for the FBLA Spring Leadership Conference. New River Region Chapters include: Abington High School, Bland County High School, Carroll County High School, Chilhowie High School, Fort Chiswell High School, Galax High School, George Wythe High School, Giles High School, Graham High School, Grayson County CATE, Holston High School, John Battle High School, Marion Senior High School, Narrows High School, Northwood High School, Patrick Henry High School, Pulaski County High School, Richlands High School, Richlands Middle School, Rural Retreat High School, Tazewell High School, and Tazewell Middle School. The 2016-2017 New River Region FBLA Officers are Audra White (President), Haley Ramsey (Vice President), Daniel Mullins (Secretary), Taylor Peck (Reporter), Senah Stephens (Parliamentarian), L. E. Younger (Regional Adviser and Director), and Sandy Mills (FBLA-PBL Specialist). 2015-2016 Gold Seal Chapters are Bland County High School, George Wythe High School, Rural Retreat High School, and Tazewell High School. FBLA members who tested during February attended this conference, mainly to see if and where they placed.

Registration began at 9:00 a.m. in the foyer of George Wythe High School. Opening session began at 10:15 a.m. in the auditorium. Audra White started off the conference with a call to order. She then introduced all of the FBLA officers. Senah Stephens led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance, as well as the FBLA Pledge. The assistant principal of George Wythe High School, Mr. Russell Street, welcomed everyone and thanked them for attending. Daniel Mullins did a roll call of FBLA chapters to see who was and was not present. He also read the minutes of the Fall Conference, and asked if anyone would like to make changes to his notes. To show their appreciation, the regional officers recognizes FBLA advisers who have served longer than 10 years. They were presented with a rose and a round of applause. Since the 2016-2017 school year is almost up, the candidates for the 2017-2018 school year were introduced to the audience. Voting procedures were gone over by Senah Stephens, and each school’s FBLA president retrieved ballots to cast their votes.

Finally, the moment everyone was waiting for arrived; the presentation of awards. During the month of February, students in the New River region tested in multiple areas pertaining to business. Some of these topics included marketing, word processing, business ethics, and even public speaking. Each test is timed and the length varies. Graham students who placed are Courtney Altizer, Somer Stone, Blake Goins, Sam Shoemaker, Nora Allison, Emily Blackwell, Zach Carlisle, Laurel Romano, and Preston Nipper. These students will be traveling to Reston, Virginia next month to compete at state-level.

Next, students who won Public Speaking I and Public Speaking II were allowed to perform in front of the audience. Afterwards, L. E. Younger installed the 2017-2018 regional officers. They all recited the FBLA Creed, which is, “I believe education is the right of every person. I believe the future depends on mutual understanding and cooperation among business, industry, labor, religious, family, and educational institutions, as well as people around the world. I agree to do my utmost to bring about understanding and cooperation among all of these groups. I believe every person should prepare for a useful occupation and carry on that occupation in a manner that brings the greatest good to the greatest number. I believe every person should actively work toward improving social, political, community, and family life. I believe every person has the right to earn a living at a useful occupation. I believe every person should take responsibility for carrying out assigned tasks in a manner that brings credit to self, associates, school, and community. I believe I have the responsibility to work efficiently and to think clearly. I promise to use my abilities to make the world a better place for everyone.” The passing of the gavel did not particularly take place, because Audra White was named the president for the 2017-2018 school year. Announcements were made by L. E. Younger, and Audra White adjourned the meeting.