FBLA members travel to Reston for State Conference

Nora Allison

On Thursday April 6, eight students from GHS traveled to Reston, Virginia to compete in the FBLA State Conference. These eight students were Courtney Altizer, Blake Goins, Preston Nipper, Nora Allison, Zach Carlisle, Somer Stone, Sam Shoemaker, and Laurel Romano. Mrs. McGinnis, the GHS FBLA sponsor, also went on the trip. The trip lasted for three days. Not only did the FBLA members compete, but they also went to Washington D.C. to sightsee.

Each of the eight members competed in a different area, except for Courtney Altizer and Somer Stone. Courtney and Somer were allowed to compete as a team for Marketing. Blake Goins competed in Networking Concepts. Preston Nipper competed in Introduction to Financial Math. Nora Allison competed in Journalism. Zach Carlisle competed in Business Communication. Sam Shoemaker competed in Personal Finance. Laurel Romano competed in Insurance and Risk Management.

Friday morning, GHS FBLA members traveled to Washington D.C. to sightsee. They visited the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, the Holocaust Museum, and even the White House. Friday night was the first meeting of the State Conference. Each of the regions were introduced, and so were the state officers. Towards the end of the meeting, there was a guest motivational speaker who spoke to the crowd about never giving up on your dreams.

On Saturday morning, all FBLA members attended a meeting to wish everyone good luck on testing. Testing took place from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Up to four different areas tested at once. Each testing session lasts an hour. Later that night was an award ceremony to reveal who gets to compete at national level. Two GHS students placed during the award ceremony, which was Sam Shoemaker and Preston Nipper. Sam placed fifth, so he was not eligible to compete at national level, but Preston placed second, which means he is eligible to compete at national level. As of now, Preston is not sure if he wants to travel to Anaheim, CA to compete, however he may change his mind.