Tiny House Movement sparks change

Alexis Blackwell

The Tiny House Movement is a phenomenon that is sweeping across the United States. This movement is largely a result of recent economic troubles. Tiny homes are about living simply, yet still having everything you need. The movement is about the freedom from debt and having economic freedom to live a bigger life.

68% of people who own a tiny home have no mortgage. 55% of them have more savings than the average American. 78% of tiny house people own their home. The average cost to build a tiny home is $23,000 if built by the owner. If the home is built professionally it can cost between $25,000 to $80,000. The average being $35,000. You have to take in consideration the cost of the trailer, materials, and labor.

A typical tiny home is 100 to 400 square feet, whereas the typical American home is around 2,6000 square feet. These tiny homes include a living area, kitchen, bathroom, and a sleeping space. Most tiny homes are built on trailers so they can be moved from place to place, while others are built on solid foundations. The trailer sizes for these tiny homes can vary, ranging from a 10 ft. trailer to a 40 ft. trailer. The size really depends on what you need. These tiny homes can be built to be self contained and off the grid. They can be professionally built or they can be built by their owner.

If you need help financing a tiny home, some professional builders offer financing for their tiny homes. You could borrow money from friends or family, but make sure to work out an agreement on a interest rate so your friend or family gets a return on their investment and that you don’t lose out on too much. You could try to secure a bank loan if you are having a tiny home built on a solid foundation. Comply with building codes and fit within sizing requirements. Some tiny home manufactures are classified as RV manufactures, so buyers can secure RV loans to help them get money to buy a tiny home. RV loans are not designed for primary residences. Peer-to-peering lending could also be a financing option. TinyHouseLoans.com and Tiny House Lending are connecting wannabe tiny home owners with networks of third party lenders who want to help them get a good deal. The investors in these networks have an interest in supporting the tiny house movement.

There is no ‘tiny home’ classification as codes/zoning see it, at least not yet. Generally, tiny homes are classified as RVs or mobile homes. The only way to park a tiny home legally is if the home is classified as either of the two. If the tiny home is registered as a mobile home, you can live full time in a mobile home park or in any zone that allows mobile homes. If the home is registered as an RV then you are legally allowed to live in a RV park.