JROTC honors veterans with flag folding ceremony

Emily Shupe

We all know that Veterans Day is a day to honor and appreciate those who have served for us.  Veterans Day isn’t the exact same as it was 70 years ago as it is today.  What used to be known as Armistice Day, is now legally known as Veterans Day.  The whole month we should celebrate Veteran’s Day and the ones who have fallen and survived serving our country.  On Monday, November 13, everyone at GHS honored our veterans.  Hannah Overstreet, Brianna Medina, Micah Edwards, Kiara Laws, Tyler Brewster, Seth Ballinger, and Cassidy Davis, members of JROTC, all participated.  They all came together to read the pledge and fold the flag.

“The reason why I’m taking JROTC is because I want to follow in my father’s footsteps.  This is what my dream is and I really was honored to be in the flag folding ceremony.  I plan on going to the Navy as an officer, and I think Mrs. Beavers had a great idea with this ceremony.  The other schools didn’t do the exact same thing as us; schools such as Tazewell lifted the flag.  I do contest play so it really wasn’t like I got nervous, it was something I was looking forward to.  The folding ceremony meant a lot, even though I think it would’ve been great if we had veterans come in and watch.” Cassidy Davis, a sophomore, said.

The GHS band joined with the Tazewell band members to march in Tazewell’s Veterans Day parade.  We all showed our respect for the ones that have fallen.  Doing this was something the JROTC kids felt was a privilege