Graham gives blood for charity

Graham gives blood for charity

Katy Franklin (left) and Jenny Johnson (right) work at the front desk during the blood drive on Tuesday.

Wesley Short

Graham’s taking it to the bank… the blood bank. On Tuesday, December 6th, Graham High School hosted a Red Cross blood drive in the gymnasium. Several students, as well as teachers and people from outside the school, went to give blood in the name of charity. It continued until the end of the school day, and anyone with the proper requirements were able to attend and give.

“Anyone can come; if you’re under 18, you have to sign a parental permission form, and if you’re over 18 then you just have to have some form of identification.” said Katy Franklin, who was running the front desk at the event. “You have to be at least 110 lbs., and at least 4’10” tall. Other than that, there’s a humongous packet you have to read before participating.” Upon reading the form, it’s found out that one can’t be on particular medication, could not have had any tattoos within a certain amount of months, as well as many other requirements.

Sydney Bowman was one of the students who gave blood there. She was happy to give blood and help with the process. “The whole idea of saving lives is what made me do it. Plus, I did it last year, too.” The process to give blood takes a bit of time, so don’t pick a class that’s too important when the next time comes around. “It took me around 30 minutes, with filling out forms and the blood giving process itself.”

students at a table with food on it

Students work during the blood drive at the snack table.

Jacob Shoun also gave blood at the event. “I just decided, ‘Hey, let’s do it. Why not?’. It’s to help people, after all.” I was also able to talk to Andrew Clarke while he was preparing to give blood. He clutched a stress ball in one hand to take his mind off of it. “I’m feeling pretty good; I’m just a little nervous.” I pointed out the stress ball in his hand. “I just kinda like this; I don’t know why.” He said as he and I laughed, along with his friends who were with him. “The first thing I did was go to the cubicle over there, and they just ask some information about your health and stuff. Then they pricked my finger, took my temperature, stuff like that.” After that, Andrew went to the reclined chairs to actually give blood. “They had to take my blood pressure, and right now I’m just waiting.” Later I went back to talk to Andrew. “It wasn’t too bad. It was just a little sting, and now I’m a little sore. I’m not dizzy or anything, and I got a cookie, so we’re all good.”

Altogether, 51 people arrived to donate blood. Out of that, 35 units total were collected to help save lives.