Fine arts held for community

Autumn Jessee

On Thursday, December 14th, 2017, Graham High held a Fine Arts Night for the community. The GMS 6th and the combined 7th and 8th grade bands played first. Next was the GHS Jazz Band, followed by the Graham Choir, and Select Choir and lastly the GHS Concert Band. Throughout the night there was an art show in the cafeteria.

The Choir sang two songs, “Jingle All the Way Medley” arranged by David T. Clydesdale, and “Night of Silence” by David Kantor. The Select Choir sang both “Night of Silence” and “Jingle All the Way Medley,” as well as, “Baby It’s Cold Outside” by Michael Buble and Idina Menzel, and “Carol of the Bells” by M. Leontovich. Graham High Choir Director Ms. Tinsley says that the Fine Arts Night was important because “having the fine arts department combine forces showed a united front to the community. A night full of music and art together showed the community at once the importance of each facet of the fine arts, and it gave everyone a choice of what to do, making it more appealing to the masses.”

The art show featured paintings from two different categories, Christmas and winter. Emma Larsen, an 8th grader at GMS, came in 1st place in the Christmas category. Ian Siebenhaar, a senior, came in 2nd, with sophomore Isiah Justice coming in 3rd, an honorable mention went to Sophomore Katie Crisco. Sophomore Jocilyn Thompson came in first in the winter category. Ashley Eden, a senior, came in 2nd, and junior Ashlyne Childres came in third, with an honorable mention to sophomore Paris Sandfer. GHS Art teacher Mrs. Cockerham says that the Fine Arts Night is important,“to let the community come know GHS has talent in the arts and how important the art are to the community.”

The Jazz Band played “Pressure Point,” “And the Angels Swing,” “Senorita Fajita,” “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch,” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”. The Concert Band played “And the Bells Shall Ring”, “Ecanto”, and “Christmas Parade Mashup”. GHS and GMS Band Director Mr. Yost says that the Fine Arts Night was important because it “showcased the talents of the students, in visual and musical arts.”

The Fine Arts Night was good for the community because it shared that the G-Men have talents in the arts. It showcased music and art made by students in the community and shared a piece of Graham pride.