Swim team takes 1st place

Allison Hager

On Tuesday, January 8, Graham’s Swim Team traveled to Abingdon to compete against five other teams. Graham’s team consists of Kristen Benson, Katy Benson, Katy Franklin, Kateryna Hayduk, Becca Smith, Ashley Cline, Emma Seay, Lindsey Billips, Connor Douthat, Malia Sloan, Abby Shoemaker, Emma Donchetz, Payton Rice, and Abby Peterson. Both Abbys, Emma Donchetz, and Payton Rice are exhibition swimmers. They are in 8th grade and their points don’t count towards the teams score.

Kristen Benson started the swim team when she was a freshman. At the time she was the only swimmer on the team, but this year there are 14 swimmers. “I didn’t think we were going to win because even though our team is much bigger than it used to be, we are still a pretty small team in comparison” said Kristen Benson. Kristen said “I always tell myself to do my best and don’t worry about my resluts.” Luckily their results were good, and they placed 1st out of 5 teams. Their biggest competition was Abingdon’s team. They’re AAA and they’re really talented, but Graham pulled through and won.

Graham’s team trains five days a week and really rely on each other. “It’s so important to rely on your team for support and get really hyped” said Senior Kristen Benson. Graham did a great job on Tuesday and pulled out another win! Swim team group picture