10 reasons why Valentine’s Day is the worst

Allison Hager

February 14 is the worst day of the whole year. Okay, I might be exaggerating a little bit, but Valentine’s Day is still dreadful. When most people think about people who hate Valentine’s Day they think of lonely single women, but some couples hate the holiday too. Here are ten reasons why Valentine’s Day is the worst.

1. People think it is a crime to be single on Valentine’s Day.

Even though Valentine’s Day is the day to celebrate love, that doesn’t mean that it is just for a boyfriend or girlfriend, it could be for anybody you love. Valentine’s Day is all about caring for your loved ones. It doesn’t have to be a significant other, it could be parent, a friend, or even your dog. Just because you do not have a significant other does not mean that you are alone on Valentine’s Day.

1. If you are single on Valentine’s Day, you feel horrible about yourself all day,

You can be the happiest person all year round, but when Valentine’s day rolls around and you’re single, you feel bad about yourself all day. You stuff your face with cheap chocolate, gain a few pounds, and dream about what could be, all because you don’t have date on Valentine’s Day.

1. It promotes unrealistic love,

Almost everybody has seen a Valentine’s Day movie or a chick flick at least once in their life and then believed that life is like a movie. We see these movies and think that the perfect guy or the perfect date exists, and they don’t. Whether your dream is dancing in the rain or someone standing under your window with a boom box over their head, it’s not realistic and probably not going to happen.

1. It’s expensive.

On Valentine’s Day, people make crazy purchases they can’t afford just to make a good impression. Whether it’s an engagement ring or a box of candy, the prices are ridiculous. On a normal day you can find a good box of candy for five dollars, but on Valentine’s Day the same box of candy is thirty dollars, but we are all still stupid enough to buy it.

1. All the horrible candy

You can get lucky and find the really good candy, but you look at the price and it’s fifty dollars, or you can settle with the cheap left over candy for two dollars. You can never get the best of both worlds on Valentine’s Day.

1. The horrible flying baby.

Just the ideal of Cupid is just absurd. Would you really want a flying baby to shoot you, no you wouldn’t. The ideal is ridiculous and makes no sense.

1. All you see is PDA.

Just because it’s the day of love, does not mean that you have to be all over your significant other 24/7. Yes, the day is for love and to celebrate each other, but there is a time and place for everything and in public is not the place for that.

1. Nobody knows what it really means

You can go ask about anyone, who started Valentine’s Day or who is St. Valentine, and probably no one is going to know. Valentine’s Day is just an excuse for people to stuff their face with cheap candy, buy flowers, and give someone a cheesy card.

1. It’s about love, not material things

Everyone seems to want flowers or a fancy dinner for Valentine’s day, but you never hear, “All I want is you, nothing else.” All people need is their loved ones, not some sappy pink junk. Yes, it is nice to have a nice dinner or date, but you do not need them.

1. You should cherish each other all year round, not just on Valentine’s Day

People think that they should only do special things for each other on Valentine’s Day, but if you really loved someone you would do special things for them all year round. Maybe a date night each week and tell them you love them every chance you get, not just a big gesture on Valentine’s Day. Yes, it would be nice to do something on Valentine’s Day too, but not just on that day, it should happen all year round.

All and all, Valentine’s Day is not the absolute worst, but here are ten reasons why Valentine’s Day is not the best.

“The reason I don’t like Valentine’s Day is because I don’t like the candy hearts. Also, because people spend way too much money and time on gifts. Why can’t you just stay home cook a nice dinner and spend time with the person you love” said Sophomore Katie Crisco.