The G-Men triumph at regionals

Emily Shupe

On Saturday, March 3rd will be the On Friday and Saturday, the 23rd and 24th, the boys’ basketball team went all the way to Gate City to compete at regionals.  This was going to be tough game, but as always, the G-Men had a great turn out.  They won against Gate City 75-59, and there were plenty of students from Graham who drove two hours to see them.

Coach Carlock said, “We felt really good going into both games last weekend.  We were confident as a team.  I was proud of the guys for responding to the environment so well, we were in both Central and Gate City’s home area so it was pretty hostile.  We knew we had to focus on the game because even though we had Graham students there, there was several Gate City fans which could’ve been distracting.  We are so grateful for this opportunity, and we are in the final four!  Martinsville will be tough, but I have faith in us.  At the beginning of the year, we played against them at home and won, but I know they have improved greatly just like us.  This will be the best game of the year because the pressure is definitely on for state.  My father won two state football championships, so for me to get the boys to state would be amazing, and I know they are such a hardworking team.  They just show with hard work how much you progress.”

Darrin Martin, a senior player who just earned his 1000th point recently, said, “We all worked really hard at practice throughout this season.  I’m overjoyed at the fact we are going to the quarterfinals because this is my senior year, and I’ve worked really hard this year.  I really don’t even want to think about how these games will be my last, but as always I’ll give them my best.  Going into the game last week we went in with a strategy as always, and working together as a team is necessary to be successful.”

On Saturday, March 3rd will be the state quarterfinals at UVA-Wise. We wish the best of luck to
the G-Men!