Graham makes it to the semifinals

Allison Hager

On March 3rd, the Graham G-Men played the Bulldogs from Martinsville in a good ole game of basketball. The game was in Wise, Virginia and started at 6:30. Graham earned a dominating 49-30 Class 2 state quarterfinal victory over the Bulldogs. Playing a 15 time state champion team, Graham thought they knew what they were going into, but then the Bulldogs came out in a man to man defense.

Graham was held to only single digit scoring in the first and third quarters. The G-Men held the Bulldogs to two point scoring in two quarters also. Martinsville only had nine points in the second quarter, and in the fourth and final quarter, they scored seventeen points. The G-Men led 9-2 in the first quarter, 21-11 at half time, and 30-13 at the end of the third quarter.

“Well both teams played great, Graham was just on top of their game” said Mason Menefee. Overall, Graham pulled out a great game against Martinsville with a final score of 49-30. The G-Men advanced to the state semifinals, where they will play Gate City. That game will be held on March 6, at Tazewell Middle School. All around good job G-Men on a great and a great season.

Update: Graham unfortunately did not beat Gate City and did not make it to the state finals, but they did a great job. Gate City pulled out all the stops, but Graham just couldn’t keep up. Everybody and their brother wanted to go to the game. Graham High School sold a thousand tickets in thirty minutes. In total,  they sold over three-thousand tickets for this game. Even though Graham had to take a loss against the Gate City, they had a great season.