FBLA goes to Nationals

FBLA+winners
FBLA winners

FBLA winners

FBLA winners

Allison Hager

What is FBLA? FBLA stands for Future Business Leaders of America. It is a nonprofit educational program for middle school, high school, and collegiate students. FBLA is a national club with kids from all across the country. FBLA not only prepares you for a business career, it helps you become a better citizen, and learn life skills. Members can demonstrate their business expertise at regional, state, and even national conferences. The top students will receive a trophy or a cash reward.  The conferences held for FBLA are tests the participates take to test their knowledge of the business world. The tests are like SOL’s, so unfortunately the advisors can’t be in the room when the tests are being carried out. 

In the New River Region there are 23 schools, including Graham High School. In FBLA at Graham High School this year there are 68 members. At the past conference, GHS brought home 3rd place in the region with a chapter award for “Largest Local Chapter Membership.” Concerning individual awards, Preston Nipper won 1st place in Personal Finance, Sam Shoemaker won 1st place in Business Calculations, Chandler Russell won 1st place in Advertising, Jordan Austin won 1st place in Computer Problem Solving, and Laurel Romano won 3rd in Insurance and Risk Management. “The conferences are so much fun! I honestly didn’t think I would even place this year” said Laurel Romano. The winners will advance to a state level competition in Reston, VA, near Washington, DC, on April 12-15.  

Graham High School’s FBLA advisor is Jennifer McGinnis. She has been an advisor for seven years now. “I was in FBLA when I was a teenager! I love going on all the trips” stated Ms. McGinnis. Laurel Romano also said “I wanted to join FBLA for what it stood for, and Ms. McGinnis is great!”