Cheerleaders flip into tryouts  

Allison Hager

It’s that time of the year again, when girls prove that football games aren’t just for the boys. Cheerleading is an individual sport and their main focus is cheer competitions, but it is nice to have them cheering the players on every once in a while.  Cheerleading tryouts were held April 5th and 6th in the old gym at Graham High School. Even if you were a cheerleader last year, you have to try out again for this upcoming season. There were sixteen spots on varsity and ten spots on junior varsity up for grabs. The girls trying out had to perfect one dance, one individual cheer, three chants, the fight song, jumps, and tumbling in a two-day session.  

“I prepared for tryouts by practicing every night after clinic and going to the gym to practice my tumbling. I have been preparing for tryouts for months now by going to gymnastics to tumble and practice my jumps,” said varsity cheerleader Cheyenne Osbourne. She also stated, “The hardest part of tryouts would probably be having self-confidence.  It is very intimidating to go up in front of VHSL judges and perform all by yourself. The best part for me is meeting new girls and getting close with everybody.” Varsity Cheerleader Milan Brewster also said the same thing, “My favorite part of tryouts is meeting the other people who try out.” It seems like there is good sportsmanship on this team.  

The varsity cheerleaders this year are Milan Brewster, Lexi Rudy, Grace Aiello, Laken Chronister, Isabella Edwards, Cheyenne Osborne, Paris Sandifer, Josie Stevenson, Madison Buckles, Macy McBride, Jordan McFarland, Caroline Thompson, Halaya Bradshaw, Stella Gunter, Emma Largen, and Peyton Terry. Junior varsity cheerleaders are Lindsey Billips, Cianna Carter, Hannah Carter, Ashley Cline, Tori White, Hailee Boyles, Izabella McGuire, Rachel Rutherford, and Alexis Sharder. Congratulations to all 26 cheerleaders who we will see on the field and the mat this upcoming season.