Softball slides into GHS

Allison Hager

There are dozens of sports in this world that we play, but are most of them played by men? While boys have baseball, the girls get softball. Some can argue that just because the world softball has the word “soft” in it does not mean that the ball is soft. Softball is not easier then baseball.

The first known softball game was played in Chicago, Illinois on Thanksgiving Day in 1887. Folks were at the Farragut Boat Club awaiting the news of the famous Yale/Harvard football game. While waiting, a Yale alumnus threw a rolled up boxing glove at a Harvard supporter. To fight back, he grabbed a stick and swung at the glove and that is how softball was formed.

Now, coming back to reality, Graham High School’s softball team is not too shabby. The team consists of fourteen girls; Jocilyn Thompson, Jessica Street, Sabrina Altizer, Grace Beaman, Caitlyn Deakins, Hannah Hass, Madison Johnson, Adrienne Kennedy, April King, Victoria Rider, Malia Sloan, Krislyn Thomas, McKenna Wrobel, and Kassidy Frye. They are coached by Scott Thompson. Graham with a 3-3 record has improved miraculously considering they haven’t had a three-win season since 2010. Jocilyn Thompson, sophomore and pitcher, said “Our season has went fairly well so far. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the season goes.”

On Thursday, 4/12, Graham had a 9-5 win over Bluefield. Street, Altizer, and Rider all had three hits each. Bluefield was ahead until the fifth inning when Graham scored five runs in the fifth inning and three runs in the sixth. In addition, freshman Madison Johnson and Hannah Hass had two hits each for Graham. Unfortunately, Thompson walked four and hit three batters, but she came back and had seventeen strikeouts. Even though Graham was a little behind in the beginning they came back and won the game with a final score of 9-5.