A grand slam heads towards Graham

Allison Hager

What do you want from the players for the remainder of the season? “To try to get through all the hardships and realize that they are a much better team than they have played,” said Coach Willie Miller.

Graham High School Baseball got a late start in the game. With all the rain and snow, the games were getting cancelled left and right, but spring has arrived, and GHS baseball is busy. This past week, May 1-4, there were four games. On Tuesday, they played Virginia High with a final score of 1-14, Virginia High. On Wednesday, the game was against Radford, 1-11 Radford. On Thursday, they lost against Tazewell with a final score of 6-7. Even though they lost against Tazewell, it was a close game, and one of our own, Cole Cline hit a grand slam. Finally, they took home the win against Marion with a whopping score of 10-0.

This year, it is a young team. There are only two seniors, a few juniors, and several ninth and tenth graders. The star this season has been Freshman Jack Spencer. Jack Spencer has stood out in his role as pitcher and left fielder. “Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical” said Spencer.

There are six boys who have stood out this year when it comes to batting. The person with the highest batting average on the team is Senior Nick Miller, with an average of .423. Freshman Jack Spencer comes in second with an average of .406. Sophomore Cole Cline is next with .400. Junior Nate Mounts’ average is .393. Tied for fifth place is Junior Trey Wimmer and Sophomore Isaiah Justice with a batting average of .333. On the other side of the diamond, Junior Howie Spencer has struck out thirty- one batters as pitcher. Justice has struck out twenty, and Junior Jonathan Oster has struck out fourteen.

Coach Miller said, “Since they are a young team, they have a lot to look forward to.” Whether they are looking forward to their future or just their next game, Good Luck to all.