Band and choir perform

Autumn Jessee

On May 7,2018, the GHS Band had their spring concert. They had two special guest directors, former band directors Jim Jones and Mike Brown. The Jazz band had a guest singer, GHS Choir Director Ms. Tinsley.

The GHS choir concert was on May 8,2018. Ms. Tinsley invited her student teacher, Shawn Howell, back to conduct a song for the Select Choir and play a song for the Select Choir. At this year’s spring concert, the Select Choir showed off their skill with several challenging pieces.

Choir Director Ms. Tinsley says, “Having Shawn come back for our concert was wonderful on multiple levels. First, he’s an old friend, and I loved being able to collaborate with him. Second, he built a good report with the students during his student teaching and it was nice for them to get another chance to work with him. Also, it was a fantastic opportunity for him to get a real-life taste of conducting and being in a concert setting. He did a great job, and I enjoyed to getting to share the experience with him.”

The spring concerts showed just how much talent that the band and choir have. It was also a wonderful opportunity for former teacher to come back and interact with students, and new teacher to get a feel for all the job entails.