Students perform at auditions

Students perform at auditions

Autumn Jessee, Reporter

Auditions

On August 22, 2018, students auditioned for this school year’s Contest Play. Contest Play is an annual competition of a one act play between Marion, Lebanon, Virginia High, Tazewell, and Graham. Each school picks their own play, and it can be no longer than 35 minutes. Each play can only be done once every five years.

Director Ms.Tinsley says, “I wanted to choose something that was different from previous years, but that would also challenge and push us beyond our comfort zones. This play far exceeds those expectations.”  Tinsley says that, “This play is very minimal in set requirements, so one of our biggest challenges will be using our lighting, staging, and voices to make the audience visualize what’s going on.”

Second year Contest Play member, Lexie Price, a Junior, is doing Contest Play “so I can push myself out there and try to be more social and have a theatre background for college.” Lexie is part of the ensemble for this year’s play. Her advice to new Contest Play cast members is  “to practice being loud enough and to read the script before you really practice your lines so you can learn them with the proper emotions.”

Deanna Grossi, a junior and second year Contest Play member, was cast as one of the main leads, Lena. Grossi says, “I’m nervous about performing in front of the school because, it is people that I know watching me.” Contest Play helps all students involved in, Grossi says that it helps her, “be confident.”

This year’s Contest Play cast and crew have a lot of potential, but it is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication from the students.