Graham kicks off season with rivalry game

Peyton Terry

Football players run onto field.

The G-Men bust through the tunnel before the start of the game.

Named one of the of the largest high school rivalries on the East Coast by ESPN, Graham Beaver is a tradition like no other.  Every year the Great American Rivalry Series covers the game along with the help of the US Marines.

The rivalry first began in 1911 and has been played annually since 1928. Each year the crowd exceeds over 10,000. Another tradition held every year is the award of the top student athlete. This year’s student athlete with the highest GPA was Senior Nicholas Dimarzo. He was awarded a $1,000 scholarship to Bluefield College.

This year’s game was held on Friday, August 24, 2018. The Graham G-men played a good game ending the first half at 31-7, Bluefield. The game ended at 38-14, a victory for the Bluefield Beavers. Graham played an impressive game considering the Beavers had a “College sized offensive line.”

“The team is getting better and better everyday,” says assistant Coach Palmer. “The G-men are looking forward to a great season.” “The players are focused, and hopefully heading into a successful season.” Athletic Director Matt Dixon added. Freshman Brody Meadows was more than excited for the big game. “Being able to start as a freshman meant so much to me.” He also added “The large crowds made it interesting yet nerve-racking from the smaller crowds in middle school.” He and the rest of the G-Men are looking for a victory at next years game.