CADRE mentors 5th graders

CADRE mentors 5th graders

Emily Shupe

On Wednesday, October 17, CADRE went to their first visit to Graham Intermediate and Abb’s Valley Elementary.  They spoke to fifth graders about being drug free along with a playful activity that involved decorating their own brown bag puppets to “scare away drugs”.  

Gracie Miller, who is in her second year of CADRE, said, “I love being able to help with the community and the kids.  CADRE teaches younger students about how drugs can affect you and that you don’t need to do drugs to fit in or be cool.  I was thrilled to get to see all of the little kids playing with their puppets once they finished. I’m looking forward to Shop with a Cop which is coming up pretty soon.”

Sara Rasnick, who is in her first year of CADRE, said “I’m so thankful to be a part of such a powerful club.  We helped show kids how much fun we are as a group and how you don’t have to cave into peer pressure. Seeing the smiles on their faces made my day. I’m so excited for all of our upcoming events also.”

“It feels great to know that I make such an impact on the students.  They were super involved with the puppets and I think that the activity will help them remember about what we are there for and stick it in their brains.  CADRE helps kids know the right path and people live their best lives.” said Kaitlyn Honaker, a senior who is also in her second year of CADRE.

Jonathan Du, who is a first year member, said, “It’s a lot of responsibility to be a positive influence on kids.  I think it was an informative yet fun experience for the fifth graders. It’s important for us to set a good example and be role models.”

One of the club’s supervisors, Mrs Metcalfe, said, “I think it’s a great idea for 5th graders to see these older kids being productive, successful, and having fun without the use of substances.  It also gives our kids a chance to give back to the community while getting to work with young students. They had went through DARE when they were that age and to get to see it from the other point of view is important.  CADRE also gives these students a chance to do more service projects for our area. Some of our projects coming up include Trunk or Treat at the Farmers Market, the Appalachian Teen Challenge visit, and Shop With a Cop. We will also be doing fundraisers to earn money.”

CADRE stands for Commonwealth Alliance of Drug Resistance Education.  It is a club that is very influential and rewarding to be in. It is an honor for many to be able to teach children about drug abuse and prevention.

5th graders with their monsters to “scare away drugs”.