Boys varsity basketball slam-dunks first half of season

Peyton Terry

The  varsity boys basketball team has had an outstanding season so far. The team is currently 13-5 with even more games to be played. The G-men are improving every day and are hoping to put more wins under their belt. They’ve had some landslide wins against surrounding teams and some hard losses like against cross-town rivals the Bluefield Beavers. The team spends hours in the gym practicing so they can finish off their season strong.

“I love being a part of this team. I’ve made so many new friendships whether it’s been from practice or team bonding,” said freshman Brody Meadows. He also mentioned that he feels the team has had some tough competition but has been able to stand their ground.

“Our team has a good chemistry, and we’ve all learned how to cooperate as a team which has lead to amazing teamwork,” said senior Trevor Moodie. He also mentioned what it has been like with a new coach. “Our new coach, Coach Baker has a different way of coaching then our previous coach, but I’ve enjoyed both coaches.” He added that he has really enjoyed this season and is looking forward to future games.

“I’ve really enjoyed coaching this team and being able to have a relationship with each of the players,” said Coach Baker. His goal is to get the team to the the state championship game by winning their region and district tournaments. “This team continues to get better every week, and I’m really looking forward to the rest of the season,” said Baker.

Tonight’s game is a quad against Lebanon. Seniors will be recognized between games.