GHS congratulates the December and January students of the month

Hannah Shockley and Will Calfee were named Students of the Month for January.

Tori Mitchem, Reporter

For the month of December, two students, Emily Shupe and Derek Cruise, were named students of the month for showing their kindness.

Emily Shupe and Derek Cruise were named Students of the Month for December.

“At first, I couldn’t believe I won. I was really stunned because I had seen all of these other students win student of the month, and I looked up to them as role models. To be in their shoes makes me feel like a better person. Sometimes it’s the little things that matter like holding the door for somebody or seeing someone drop something in the hall and helping them pick it up. I think it is really important to treat everyone as a friend, and I know how it feels to get a compliment, and it can make somebody’s day. Over the years, I’ve grown with my class and people in my school, and I think it is necessary to be kind to all of them. Treat everyone the same, and when you know you can help somebody and make their day, don’t take that chance for granted. Appreciate the things you are given even if you don’t realize it, and appreciate the people in the school and the community and what they do for us,” says Emily Shupe, a junior.

The other winner, freshman Derek Cruise, says, “When I found out I won, I was surprised. I was definitely happy, and it is nice to know my actions were not unappreciated. I just try to be nice to everybody, even if they are not nice back. I tell teachers to have a good day, and I help out where I can. The advice I would give to others wanting to show kindness is try not to focus on what people say in response, but focus on what you want to do. I know it’s cliche to say treat others the way you want to be treated, but try not to focus on the results, but what you are wanting to achieve.”

There were two additional students who won student of the month for January, Will Calfee and Hannah Shockley, for demonstrating commitment.

Will Calfee, a junior, says, “I was honestly kind of shocked when I found out I won. I’ve never won anything like it before, and I felt accomplished. I show commitment by coming to school, coming to class, and showing school pride every day. No matter how hard school gets, you are always going to have good days. Personally, what keeps me going is knowing that those good days are worth it.”

“When I won, I was surprised, honestly. I think I show commitment by getting work done and making good grades. Don’t give up, keep trying your best, and don’t be afraid to reach your goals,” says junior Hannah Shockley.

Congratulations to these four students for their accomplishments!