Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

Tara Wyatt, reporter

Reboots, sequels, and remakes aren’t new to Hollywood. They have been around since the start of Hollywood films. Though, there weren’t as many reboots, sequels, and remakes in the past as there are now. So, with all of the new movies coming out, millennials, such as teens and adults, share their opinions on whether sequels, reboots, and remakes are good or bad. So the question is, has Hollywood run out of ideas? Are the new reboots, remakes, and sequels going downhill?

Hollywood had a huge peaking point with successful reboots, sequels, and remakes in the 2000s, almost having 1 in 6 of the films be in the Top Ten Grossing Movies of the year such as the sequel in the Dark Knight Trilogy, “The Dark Knight” in 2008 making about $533,345,358 in the box office (one of the best movies ever), all according to StephanFollows.com. Unfortunately for Hollywood, that percentage has gone down drastically. Instead of 1 in 6 movies, it’s now 1 in 25 movies to almost make it into the top ten.

In 2018, there were more than 50 movies and TV shows that have been remakes, reboots, or sequels. Hollywood came out with the Overboard remake, the Oceans 8 remakes with all-female cast members, and animated reboots on Cartoon Network like Powerpuff Girls and Teen Titans Go. With that being said, some believe that it’s fine that Hollywood is making remakes, sequels, and reboots. “I like reboots, and if they do it well, it can help the actor and actress,” said Zach Bailey.

Actors and actresses who plan or go back to any reboot, sequel or remake can be an eventful gamble to their careers. They don’t know if fans would be okay with another film or if the directors actually know what they’re doing. With that being said, actors and actresses will either get bad criticism from fans and critics or good criticism. A common critique that is said all around is that they’re just doing it for the money.“They normally do it for the money and maybe they liked watching the original film,” said senior Gabriel Sloan. While other times, people state that it’s for good purpose, like, doing it to continue the legacy or to give closure to the story. “They come back to honor the people who were in the original and also try to make it better in their own way,” said senior Cameron Allen.

Movies could potentially ruin or add to the legacy of a reboot, sequel, or remake too. Junior Neil Gregory has stated that it depends on how well a sequel, reboot, or remake can be judged on its own without relying on the original. Nate Mounts has also stated that no matter what movie they decided to remake or how well made it was, it will always be compared to the original.

With that, we still have many unnecessary reboots, sequels, and remakes such as  Disney’s new Live action remakes like Aladdin, Mulan, Cinderella, and –probably the most controversial and useless, The lion king. Why spend so much money on that when they could be creating a new and fresh movie like “The Lion King” once was? It’s not like there were pieces of anything left out of the original that needed closure like some movies or tv shows. You could also say the same thing for the new Toy Story 4 coming out soon. Disney gave fans an exceptional trilogy of the toys journey – which will soon be known as a tetralogy. Anyone who has watched the films would know what happened with Andy, we know what happens to the toys since Andy left for college. Every single movie made fans want to never abandon their dolls. Plus, fans not left wondering those things anymore. With the new movie coming out, it doesn’t feel genuine to continue the story as all the other movies once did.

Giving closure to a film that hasn’t had its chance to finish should be the only reason why reboots, remakes, or sequels should exist in the first place.  A good example of a genuine and well-made reboot is Cartoon Network’s Samurai Jack taking on its final season – except being on Adult Swim, instead. It gets a pass for making the final season well -according to critics- and ends the show with the closure that viewers who once watched it, feel complete. Another show that fans say deserves to be brought back for one or two more seasons and not as an entirely different show is Teen Titans. The show aired on Cartoon Network in 2003 and was canceled in the year 2006 like all the other incredible Cartoon Network shows like Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Chowder, and more.

Continuing on, the cancellation left the show off with a cliffhanger, with no information on who Red X was or what was even in Robins suitcase that the Titans went after for just to keep safe? How did Terra come back to life?  It is rumored that a season 6 will take place, but for now, fans are stuck with Cartoon Networks -as fans like to call it- disrespectful reboot, Teen Titans Go.

Of course, you do have those who believe it depends on what film is, what directors do with it and if it adds to the legacy. “Personally, it depends. If it’s a movie that fans believe should have a reboot, then opinions will differ. I believe it adds to the legacy because it gives a chance to see how other companies perceive the movie and whether it lives up to the original and more CGI is incorporated,” says senior Keratha Mills.