Students tutor students in new club

Tori Mitchem

The GHS Peer Tutoring Club has been recently introduced, so students that are struggling in a subject can seek help and be tutored by one of their classmates.

The students selected for this club are current seniors and currents juniors; the current juniors are eligible to be in this club next school year as well. The requirements of the club are to attend one hour of training after school and sign up and complete at least eight hours of tutoring before the school year is over. Next school year, club members are required to attend another one-hour orientation and work the minimum of 20 hours by the end of that school year. Students can sign up to tutor both before and after school for math, science, social studies, English, or Spanish.

If club members meet the correct time requirements, they will earn a certificate of service and a letter of recommendation. This time can also count as community service hours for college applications. These things will not be awarded to those that do not meet these requirements, but students that are involved in extracurricular activities throughout the year that take up a great deal of time may ask for a reduction in hours.

One club member, Ethan Stinson, a junior, says, “I feel like this is an opportunity to exercise my ability to teach and to have training as to what the field is really like. I think this club will definitely improve grades, SOL scores, and exam scores. I believe this program will be a great asset to the GHS community because we have teachers and high achieving students helping others.”

Another member, junior Jonathan Du, says, “This program offers tutoring for all subjects, and I feel honored that they would ask me to tutor my peers.”

Students can sign up for peer tutoring with Mrs. Cook.