2019 Forensics held at Central Wise High School.

Sara Siebenhaar, Journalist

On February 16, 2019, Graham High School attended the Forensics competition. Forensics is a single or duo person act, usually based around speech and emotion. Students perform their pieces in a classroom for two VHSL judges. The scoring is done on a scale from 1-7, 1 being highest. The competition was held at Central Wise High School.

Sydney Pennington and Micah Edwards, juniors, did an act together for Duo Humorous Interpretation, while Marie Spence, senior, did a Prose piece.

A Duo Humorous Interpretation can be defined as comedy. Their piece was called “Beyond Therapy.” “We wanted something that would make people laugh. Everything is serious, it would be nice to have fun every once in awhile.”

The prose category can be described as reading a prose selection and bringing it alive with your voice. According to the website Young Writers, “Prose is the ordinary form of written or spoken language. It has no meter, pattern or rhyme to it.” The lack of rhythm is what makes it opposed to poetry. People who compete in the prose section are allowed to have their selection in front of them while they perform.

Micah Edwards, a junior, said “The best part of the competition was seeing how others did their pieces. It helped me see what I could’ve done.” He then added, “The best part of the day was the competition and being able to experience the atmosphere of a theatre competition.”

According to Ms. Tinsley, the Forensics coach, “Everything could have been better, from participation to time to preparation. The groups who went did well, but there was definitely room for improvement. So now we put it behind us and look forward to next year. Next year, we need to have more students participate and more time devoted to pieces.”

Although none of the Graham representatives placed, they each did their best and now have more experience that will enable them to learn from their mistakes and do better next year.