Beta club welcomes new members

Tori Mitchem

On April 15, the Beta Club welcomed this year’s new members with an annual induction ceremony held at GHS at 6:00pm.

To give an overview of the club and its purpose, Mrs. McAvoy says, “The Beta Club is an academic and service organization. Students are expected to maintain high academic standards and give back to the community. For example, this year at Christmas, the GHS Beta Club members supplied the Bluefield Union Mission with hundreds of fast food gift cards to include in the children’s gift bags. Within the school, the club has inspired students to keep their grades up so they can become Beta members. We hope our Betas are setting a good example in the community. As far as giving back, we hope to expand on that in the future. We are proud of all of our Beta members, and we are already planning next year’s induction.”

The ceremony welcomed 37 sophomores, two juniors, and one senior into the club. It began with the introduction of the new club officers for the 2019-2020 school year. The new officers also participated in a candle lighting shortly before the new members walked across the stage to receive their recognition for their acceptance. The ceremony also included a performance by the GHS choir of the Beta Club song, “I was particularly proud of this year’s induction. Thanks to member Ethan Stinson, we have discovered that we have an actual Beta Club anthem. Thanks to Ms. Tinsley and other members of the choir, the anthem was beautifully presented for the very first time by our wonderfully talented a capella group. This was a first for the Beta Club, and I hope it will set a tradition for us,” says Mrs. McAvoy again.

Beta members new and old show their support and enthusiasm for their club. One member who has been in Beta Club since last year, Katie Crisco, junior, says, “It feels good to be a part of the Beta Club because I feel like all of my hard work has paid off. I think this club teaches students to work harder, and once they become members of the club, it builds confidence.”

One newly inducted member, Darrah Young, sophomore, says, “I thought the induction ceremony went very smoothly. I think that being in this club is a good resume builder, and it is something that colleges are excited to see. I look forward to being a good representative for my club.”

Congratulations to all of the Beta Club members for their hard work and accomplishment!