Theater splashes into The Little Mermaid Jr

Autumn Jessee, Reporter

On May 3-4, 2019, GHS Theater performed The Little Mermaid Jr, for the community. Students from Ms. Tinsley’s Select Choir and her show choir students for the middle school participated, as well as students that auditioned. Admission was $5, and concessions were sold during intermission. During intermission the Select Choir performed the song “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story” from Hamilton.

Lily Comer, a junior, was cast as Ariel, the show’s protagonist. Makenize Phipps, also a junior, was the show’s antagonist, Ursula. Senior Brian Fisher was Sebastian, and Alex Horne, a freshman, was Flounder. Rickey White, a senior, was King Triton and Hannah Overstreet, also a senior, played Scuttle. Connor White, a junior, played Prince Eric, and Malo Freard, also a junior, was cast as Grimsby.

The show follows the same basic plot as the Disney movie, with a few alterations. The show adds a few songs and a few new characters: Carlotta, played by Keratha Mills a senior, who is a maid for Prince Eric and the six princesses, who were played by Sara Siebenhaar, Marissa Harman, Lakyn Hawks, Sara Rasnick, Krislyn Thomas, and Sydney Pennington, all juniors who also played Ariel’s sisters. The songs that were not in the movie that were in the show included “One Step Closer,” “The Contest,” “Times Up,” and “The Confrontation.”  

“Don’t be afraid of performing.  It can be stressful, but just know your lines, songs. That will make  everything will go smoothly,” said Lily Comer when asked what advice she would give future students that want to do the musical.

When asked what the best part of doing the musical was, Sara Rasnick replied, “It would be the whole process and performance of it all. During rehearsals I was able to hang out and get to know the cast and crew and develop some amazing friendships from that. That made performing worthwhile.”

The Musical received a very positive review from the community. “The auditorium was packed. There were over 200 people there both nights,” said Mrs. Debbie Proffitt. The students that were part of the show put in a great deal of work, and it really paid off. If this year’s production is anything to go by, next year’s show will be worth the wait.

Musical students after the final song