FBLA attends the State Competition

FBLA attends the State Competition

FBLA students go into closing session

FBLA students go into closing session

FBLA students go into closing session

FBLA students go into closing session

Tara Wyatt, reporter

Qualified students in FBLA  got to travel to Reston, Virginia, on April 4 – 7 to compete against many other students to compete in the state competition. Those who traveled down to compete were Preston Nipper, Carter Nipper, Arissa Anderson, Kenneth Cullen, Isabella Edwards, Jordan Austin, Benjamin White, Natalie Brinegar, and Zach Bailey.

Preston and Carter Nipper are the only Graham students who qualified to attend the national competition in Dallas, Texas. Senior Preston Nipper got fourth place in business and calculations, and freshman Carter Nipper got second in financial math in State.

The competition was really fun. I tested in the business and calculations category,” says Preston. “The tests this year were a little more difficult because the stuff I looked at previously wasn’t like last year where I did Personal Finance, and I had the class for it which helped me out a lot. I had to study more outside of school this year to make it so that was hard.”

This was Carter’s first time going to state – in inferential financial math – and he had lots of fun. “This has been super fun. I enjoy talking to everyone,” Carter states. “The tests that I took were fairly easy, not gonna lie.”

FBLA members also found the trip to be one of the most memorable moments of the whole journey. “The trip itself was amazing. That was my favorite part of my high school experience,” said junior Benjamin White. “They were trying to get us to interact with each other. We went into these rooms trying to get us inspired and then took some tests.”

FBLA sponsor, Jennifer McGinnis, stated that the best part about this year was seeing the kids grow throughout the year. “ It’s great seeing kids at the beginning of the year who were shy and didn’t know if they could do the things were capable of to being confident in what they do,” McGinnis says.