Art work illustrates students hard work

The+art+work+for+best+in+show+is+displayed+front+and+center+at+the+GHS+2019+Spring+Art+Show+

Art work illustrates students hard work

The art work for best in show is displayed front and center at the GHS 2019 Spring Art Show

Autumn Jessee, Reporter

On May 14, 2019, GHS held their Spring Art Show in the new gyms. Artwork from all of Mrs. Cockerham’s students were featured. Many different mediums were showcased, such as reproductions, soft pastels, abstract, pop art, still life, and colored pencil.

For the reproduction category Ashlee Phipps, a senior, came in first;  Desiree Espinosa, a freshman, was in second; Kylee Thompson, a freshman, received third place;  and honorable mentions was Faith Guzy, a junior. A reproduction is a copy of another work of art. It could be a copy of a painting, drawing or of an original print

In the soft pastel category, Mark Clary, a senior, won first place; Shay Cook, a junior, came in second; Ashlee Phipps, a senior, placed third; and Andrea Heffinger, a junior received an honorable mention. A soft pastel is the most widely used form of pastel. The sticks have a higher portion of pigment and less binder, resulting in brighter colors.

Hannah Overstreet, a senior, placed first in the abstract category. Ashlee Phipps, also a senior, came in second place, while Tori Mitchem, a junior, placed third. Andrea Heffinger, a junior, received honorable mentions once again. Abstract art is art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but instead  seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, and textures.

In the pop art category, Hannah Overstreet placed first, Savanna Weaver, a sophomore, came in second. Meadow Ruble, a freshman, won the third place title. Rick Sarver, a freshman, was awarded honorable mention. Pop art is  art based on modern popular culture and the mass media, especially as a critical or ironic comment on traditional fine art values.

Hannah Overstreet also came in first place for the still life category. Faith Hill, sophomore, was awarded second place. Malia Sloan, a sophomore, placed in third, and Savanna Weaver, a sophomore, was given honorable mention. A still life is a work of art depicting mostly inanimate subject matter, typically commonplace objects which are either natural or man-made.

In the last category, colored pencil, Sommer Billips, freshman, won first. Ashlee Phipps placed second, and Mark Clary received third place while Hannah Overstreet was awarded the title of honorable mention.

There were students from all of Mrs. Cockerham’s art classes that received the title Best in Show. Hannah Overstreet, Faith Hill, Andrea Heffinger, Emma Largen, and Mark Clery were the students that received this honor.

Hannah commented about her inspiration for the piece, “My inspiration came from my grandmother.  I knew she loved snowmen, so I knew I had to do a piece with that incorporated into it.” Hannah mentioned that her favorite part about the piece is the barn, “It required a lot of concentration to achieve a realistic style of shading and shadows.” Hannah also said, “The most important thing that an artist can learn is that there is always room for improvement, and the best way for us to learn is by looking back on all of our work.”

Hannah Overstreet receiving an award for her piece that was selected best in show

Andrea Heffinger, when asked to describe one of her pieces that was displayed in the show, said, “My inspiration was the fact that I have a weird obsession with dots and I love the beach so, boom, a match was made.” Her medium for the piece were red, blue, and yellow markers, and her favorite part was the sky.

Andrea Heffinger’s pointillism piece displayed in the art show

The annual GHS Spring Art Show is a wonderful event that gives students and faculty the champ to observe the work that the art students put into their craft.