Journalism promotes communication skills

GHS+Press+staff+members+brain+storm+ideas+

GHS Press staff members brain storm ideas

Autumn Jessee, Reporter

The student news site of GHS home page

Journalism influences how people react to current events. In modern media, it is no longer about reporting the facts and allowing people to form their own conclusion; it is biased. Media outlets try to sway views to their side of the issue rather than providing the facts about the issue.

Taking an interest in journalism gives students an insight into how news is written and reported. It also gives students the opportunity to interact with their peers and see how events affect students differently.

Journalism has a long history all throughout the world. “Journalism spans history, going back as far as the 1400s,” said an article on openschoolofjournalism.com. However, journalism didn’t become popular until the Gutenberg Press was created in the 1600s. Another increase in journalism’s popularity came about during the 18th century. During this time a surge of popularity for literary and political material happened. “[One of] the first successful periodical[s] was The Boston News-Letter in 1704,” also from the article on openschoolofjournalsim.com. The 21st century showed an increase in internet journalism, and it changed journalism. The rise of internet journalists brought rise to false news and popularity to tabloids.

“The most important thing to understand about journalism is that its entire purpose is the serve the citizens- all the citizens of a democratic society,” said an article for enotes.com. Geraldo Rivera once said, “The courage in journalism is sticking up for the unpopular, not the popular.” Many media outlets criticize each other for presenting fake news, these outlets miss what journalism is truly about.

Lakyn Hawks, a junior and a former GHS Press member said one thing being a Press member taught her was, “It is hard to connect with people and ask them random questions.” She said that journalism has changed over time because questions nowadays are more respectful of other personalities.

Freshman Landon Breeden wants to be a member of GHS Press, “I believe that writing is a way of spreading peace around the globe, and GHS Press might be able to make that possible.” He thinks that journalists can connect with their audiences “by being more understanding and trying to comprehend how others might feel.”

Sara Seibenhaar, a junior and current member of GHS Press, said journalism has changed because “it has gotten busier with more stories than before. I think journalism is more active than ever before and maybe more essential due to the busy schedule.” She thinks that journalists can connect with their audiences by smiling and being more open. She thinks it is essential that you see how their body language reads while interviewing them.

“Young people represent the next generation of our reporters… it gives youth a platform to voice how issues directly affect them,” said an article on centerforhealthjoirnalism.org. Journalism is an important activity for students. It provides them an outlet for them to voice their opinions and thoughts on school activities. Journalism gives students a professional way to voice not only their opinions but those of their peers.

GHS Press, the student news site of Graham High School, covers stories from sports to movies reviews. The all-female staff of the 2018-2019 school year has made it a goal to cover as many of the activities that happen at the school and in the community to keep everyone informed. They also try to keep the website as interactive as possible with new polls and 2 photos of the day each week.

Journalism had changed dramatically since the invention of the printing press in the 1600s. It is in ever more important for young people to take an interest in the news and how it is presented. It is time for the students of GHS to become part of the journalism community and have their voices be heard, and the best way to do that is to join GHS Press.