Former staff members return

Tessa Koen, Reporter

Four staff members returned to Graham this school year: Mrs. Joanne Young, assistant principal; Ms. Jam TePoel, science teacher; Mrs. Jenny Woodward, English teacher; and Mr. Trey McDaniel who teaches government, psychology, and sociology. Each of these teachers have served Graham High School in some capacity in the past.

Mrs. Young spent 7 ½ years at Patrick County High School from 1993 to 2001 teaching math. She also taught math for 15 ½ years at GHS prior to this year from 2001-2016. She then was the assistant principal at GMS from 2016-2019. Mrs. Young enjoys her job because she likes seeing the students grow up and become capable adults. In her free time, she enjoys going to the lake with her family and just enjoying their company.

Mr. McDaniel teaches government, psychology, sociology, and contemporary issues. He graduated from GHS in 2011 He taught 8th grade history at Beckley Stratton Middle School from August of 2018 to June of 2019. He also did student teaching at GMS from August to December of 2017.. In his free time, he plays Fortnite. Mr. McDaniel is happy to be back at Graham saying, “It’s a privilege and a blessing. It’s marvelous. Fantabulous!”

Teaching environmental science is Ms TePoel. She taught biology, ecology, and anatomy at GHS back in 2009-2011. She then went to Tazewell High from 2011-2012 and then returned to GHS for five  years.She chose teaching because she did tutoring once and enjoyed it. In her free time, she works with horses and teaches riding lessons. Her favorite thing about teaching is helping students understand something.

Mrs. Woodward teaches English 12 and Dual Enrollment English 12, as well as Human Growth and Development. She was the assistant principal at GMS from 2012-2016. She taught English at the vocational school from 2016-2017. She enjoys reading David Baldacci novels and young adult fiction. Her favorite thing about her job is seeing the look on kids faces when they understand something and when they’re happy.

As all of these “new” staff members have been at Graham before, we welcome them back with open arms. Students who haven’t met these staff members are encouraged to stop by and give them a big G-Men welcome!