Teachers adapt to new technology

Tessa Koen

Mrs. Krystal Cantrell uses her laptop for grade input and roll.

Tessa Koen, Reporter

Advancements in technology in the classroom have changed the way students and teachers interact with the curriculum. Technology helps students understand information better. It also benefits the teachers by improving and expanding their methods of teaching. Some teachers have had to become accustomed to the new forms of technology, especially ones who didn’t grow up using it like Mr. Jason Vicars, who graduated in 1997 and teaches math and used very basic technology and even typewriters in his keyboarding class. With his classes that he teaches today, he uses his smartboard. He believes technology is so prominent now because “it is crucial to our society and the students have become used to it.”

Mrs. Janna Gray, who graduated in 1977 and teaches in the special education department, had rotary dial phones, wall mounted TVs, and slide/film projectors. Her favorite form of technology back then was the slide projector, now it is the smartboard and elmo.

Mrs. Michelle Hanna, who also teaches in the special education department and graduated in 2013, had smartboards and desktop computers. When she was in school, technology was used the most in the business department.

Mrs. Shellie Hartley is the ITRT, which stands for Instructional Technology Resource Teacher. She graduated in 1970. She helps teachers use tech in the classroom with programs they use in their lessons. The most frustrating part of her job is working on older devices and printers.

Mrs. Laura Blevins is the librarian and she graduated in 1985.  She had TI-35 calculators in school. “It was the highest form of technology we had besides a computer science class where you could learn programming for computers.” 

The new changes in technology have impacted students as well. Nowadays, students are used to learning and going about their daily routine with all sorts of new technology. Lexie Price (12) said that she feels like computers and iPads help the most in school because they have enough storage to download any app a student needs. Leandra Stinson (10), however, said that she thinks our phones help the most because of the calculators that are on them, playing games after her work is done, and listening to music which is a stress reliever.

The way technology has changed has had a positive impact on students, teachers, and schools. It helps students understand things better and they have a more enjoyable education. It helps teachers enhance and improve their teaching. New technology has certainly helped everyone.