Cross Country competes in Hillsville and Pikeview

Al Macnaughton, Guest Contributer

On Wednesday September 18th Graham Cross Country traveled Hillsville, VA, to compete in the Maroon Tide Invitational. With 33 teams from 3 States competing in the meet, the G-Men knew they would face some quality runners. Graham rose to the challenge as several runners posted personal best or season best times!

G-Girls

Senior Julia Day let everyone know that she is rapidly recovering from an injury that kept her out of early season races. Day dropped 1 minute 37 seconds off her previous race to post a season best 23:53 in the 5K or 3.1 miles race good for 58th. In 71st was Junior Katie Benson with a good time of 24:35. Close behind was Senior Elise Clary with a season best of 24:56. Freshman Lauren Pearce dropped 14 seconds off her personal best with a 25:41 for 91st. Fellow Freshman Rachel White also ran a personal best chopping off an amazing 1 minute and 32 seconds for a 27:12 in 107th. Junior Rebecca Smith ran a season best 28:07 for 124th.

Despite missing a key runner in Junior Emma Seay the G-Girls finished 11th out of 33 teams competing.

G-Men 

Not to be outdone the boys also ran very well. Senior Dan Pearce finished 78th with a 19:20 which was only 4 seconds off his personal best. Freshman Bryce Havens continued his astounding progression dropping almost a minute of his time for the 3rd race in a row! Setting a new personal best of 22:21, Havens finished 148th. Also setting a personal best was fellow Freshman Zach Taylor with a 29:44 for 188th.

Pikeview 9/21/19

As the season reached the mid-way point Graham was looking forward to competing against some different teams as Virginia’s only representative at the competitive Wendy’s Pikeview Invitational in Princeton WV.

G-Girls:

With several key runners out the G-Girls used the race as a tune up for their home meet on Wednesday September 25th. Senior Julia Day demonstrated that she almost 100% recovered from an early season injury as she steadily moved up from 17th to capture the 10th place medal with a 25:49 in the 5K or 3.1 mile race. Working together Senior Elise Clary and Freshman Lauren Pearce pushed each other to 18th 27:40 and 20th 28:17. Freshman Rachel White ran a smart race steadying moving up from the back of the pack to place 28th in 30:25.

G-Men: 

Running his best race of the season Senior Dan Pearce improved his time from last year by 32 seconds barely missing a medal with his 17th place finish in 20:29. On a hot and challenging course Freshman Bryce Havens continues to impress with a 23:56 in 51st place.

Next up for the Graham Cross Country Team is there one and only home meet at Graham Recreation Park Wednesday 9/25. Girls Varsity is at 4:45pm with the Boy’s Race to follow. Come cheer on your G-Men CC Team!