Resource officer explains daily duties

Resource officer explains daily duties

Payton Prevento, Reporter

Officer Sam Bowman, the new school resource officer (S.R.O.), spends his days filling many roles, including being a teacher, liaison, and a positive role model for students. He started working as a dispatcher during his senior year in 1999. A year later, he moved up to patrol until 2010.

Bowman left the Bluefield Police Department (B.P.D.) to work for the coal mines in 2010, but later returned in 2015 after realizing it was the wrong career choice. He then had the opportunity to work at Abbs Valley as an S.R.O. A school resource officer keeps order on school campus.

Prior to Officer Bowman working as a dispatcher, he applied to multiple jobs looking to support his family. He worked at a radio station called Way 96, now known as Star 95, night security guard at Mercer Mall, and still attended school.

Before coming to work, Bowman checks his equipment every morning. This includes checking his taser, pepper spray, fire arm, ID, camera, radio, cuffs, and a bulletproof vest.

He and Officer Horn, the middle school S.R.O., switch traffic duties daily. In the morning, they begin directing traffic at 7:30. After school, traffic duties begin at 3:10. They usually direct the traffic from anywhere between 15-30 minutes depending on the day.

Once he arrives at the school, Bowman checks into the office, walks around the school, and checks the parking lot. Some of his responsibilities at the school include everything from talking to students about DUI’s and sex crimes to helping students with homework. He also intervenes with school issues such as fights when necessary, but tries to let the school handle the situation as much as possible.

After the school day ends, Bowman becomes an involved parent. He has four kids, one in middle school, one in elementary school, and two not in school yet. He goes to many different events to support his children both athletically and academically.