Students unite through See You at the Pole

Tessa Koen, Reporter

On September 25, Graham students participated in the national See You at the Pole event by gathering in a circle around the flagpole in front of the school. This event, a global day of student prayer, began in 1990 as a grassroots movement with ten students praying at their school. Twenty years later, millions pray on their campuses on the fourth Wednesday in September. See You at the Pole is simply a prayer rally where students meet at the school flagpole before school to lift up their friends, families, teachers, school, and nation to God. 

The event started at 7:30. It started off with a few songs of worship. Most of the students and a couple teachers sang and worshipped God. Each year there’s a different theme. This year it’s ‘If.’ Michael Akers (10) spoke up and explained how the prayer circle would work. Everyone was to hold hands. It went clockwise through the students, and if they didn’t want to pray when it was their turn, they could just squeeze the hand of the person to the left of them. They closed with a few more songs of worship before students went to class for the day.

Mr. Jason Vicars is the sponsor of Values Club, and he helped lead the event. His favorite part about See You at the Pole is seeing students come together and take a stand for their faith. He believes that this event impacts the students greatly. “It helps encourage them to be more open about their faith. Others are taking a stand as well. It helps them realize that they’re not alone and they’re united together,” he said. 

Abby Gasperson (11) is the president of Values Club this year. She thinks this is a good event because it unites people around the globe all at the same time. “Whether it’s Christians, or homeschooled kids, they all have something to be united together with. It brings comfort to know there’s still people in the world that believe this is the best thing we can do for our school,” Gasperson says. This event impacts her personally because it makes her look forward to the next year and changes her mindset overall. 

Josephine Root (10) enjoys See You at the Pole because she thinks it’s a wonderful opportunity to get together with other people like her and pray with them. She feels like this impacts students by showing them that they are never alone in this school and that it brings everyone closer together. This event has had a personal impact on her. “To me, it makes me feel happier. It shows me that there are other students that are with me and not against me. It surrounds me with positive people,” Root says. 

Rebecca Phillips (10) came to this event to worship and learn more about the teachings of Christ and God. She thinks it gives students the opportunity to get to know Christ and praise  him. This event has also had an impact on her. “He generally impacts me by blessing me, and assisting me through everyday opportunities of life that we are blessed with,” She said.

Rick Sarver (10) said he joined this event because it was a thing everyone was doing together and he figured since everyone else was doing it, he should too. He says this event brings students together and gets everyone connected. “Maybe it’ll even bring new visitors,” Sarver says.

See You at the Pole, overall, is a great thing. It unites students and teachers alike. It allows people to uplift others around them, and their school. Whether it’s here or in California, this event helps people unite together to praise and worship God.