Pearce scorches in the heat at Grayson

Al Macnaughton, Guest Contributer

Boys:

Despite 91 degree weather and a few unforgiving hills, Senior Dan Pearce demonstrated he is ready for State caliber competition. Early in the race, Pearce found himself in 10th place out of touch with the leaders. As the race progressed the lead pack started to wilt in the heat and early fast pace. Pearce, keeping a steady tempo, started picking off the top runners until he found himself as high as 4th. Running with the lead group Pearce was able to hang on for 7th not far out of the lead. His time of 19:25 on 5K or 3.1 mile was only 9 seconds off his personal best! Also competing was Freshman Bryce Havens in 27th with a good time of 23:33.

Girls:

Senior Julia Day was in 6th place late in the race but a bloody nose slowed her down as she took 9th in 25:36. Next was Junior Emma Seay 11th, 26:39 and Freshman Lauren Pearce 13th 26:55. Only 3 places back was Senior Elise Clary 16th 27:47. Finishing out the scoring were Freshman Rachel White 20th, 29:00 and 23rd Senior Rebecca Smith 29:32.

Although the times were slow due to the heat & hills, Coach MacNaughton was pleased with the G-Girls performance. “We are starting to get some good grouping amongst the runners with only a one minute and 19 seconds between our 3rd and first runner and 16 seconds between our 2nd & 3rd.” MacNaughton was especially pleased with the progress of his 2 freshmen, Lauren Pearce & Rachel White. “Pearce & Clary ran together early on until Pearce moved up to within a few seconds of our 2nd runner, Seay. White was literally in last place early on but steadily moved up several places to finish as the team’s 5th runner and final scorer in 20th overall.

Next up for the Cross Country Team is the highly competitive Trailblazer Invitational on Saturday October 12th at Daniel Boone High School in Gray, TN.