Cross Country runs their hearts out at state

Zainab Razzaq, Reporter

The Graham Cross Country team has had a successful season and finished it off competing in Salem, VA. On November 16, the girls in cross country and Daniel Pierce competed in a 2A meet. The girls raced at 10:30 a.m., and the race involved a 5k duration. The team encouraged each other to perform their best times for the season. Four of the several runners had successfully gotten their best times.

Katie Benson (11) had placed 17th which was just out of qualifications for state. The top 15 racers qualify for state, but the team is immensely proud of her hard work. “I really just like the feeling of running and feeling accomplished for getting a personal best,” said Katie. Katie exclaimed, “I’m so excited because I got the 3rd fastest time in Graham’s history.” 

Julia Day (12), even though exhausted, had persevered through the race. She had also got a personal record and placed as 5th runner in the school’s history. “I think we all ran really well because we all got our personal bests, except two,” Julia said. Julia has been running cross country since freshman year and may continue it once in college.

All the racers of cross country had mentioned a very competitive racer from Virginia High. Kelsey Harrington had run a time of 16:59 for the 5k which made the race even more challenging.

Daniel Pierce (12) was the only male athlete from Graham who competed in Saturday’s race. This was Daniel Pierce’s first state championship in his high school career, and he was excited to share that news. “I was just happy with the time I got because it was below 20 minutes which is kind of really hard to do,” said Daniel. Daniel laughed, “I think I almost tripped a couple of times, but I picked up my pace.”

Overall the Graham Cross Country team is proud of their placements and personal best times. The team is especially proud of placing 11th overall at the competition. The underclassmen look forward to another great season next year.