Students apply for scholarship

Many Graham High School students will attend Southwest Virginia Community College. On February 4, 2020, and February 11, 2020, GHS students started to fill out the application for free tuition at SWCC.  

The goal of the workshop was to allow students to create a scholarship profile for SWCC. It also assists with the essay writing portion and peer review. The students were applying for institutional scholarships specific to SWCC and major specific. To fill out the scholarships the students need to complete a 3 part profile and write a 400-500 word essay. The deadline for the scholarship is March 31, 2020, and students will know if they were awarded the scholarship by April 30, 2020. 

Stephanie Seymore, the college and career coach for Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands High Schools said, “Scholarships typically offset the price of books and supplies, such as laptops, gas, and so on. Tuition is generally covered by Pell Grant money or the tuition assistance program.” 

Jenna Bowling (12) was one of many students to participate in the workshop. Bowling said, “I want to go to Southwest because it is the most financially reasonable. I want to go into pre-pharmacy and transfer into the Appalachian College of Pharmacy. The most difficult part of the process was deciding on the topic and piecing together the essay portion of the application.”

In-state tuition for Southwest Virginia Community College is on average $4,703, for out of state $7,587. Per Credit hour, that breaks down to $156.75 for in state, and $354.35 for out of state. Full-time Southwest Virginia Community College students must carry 12 or more credit hours a semester. Part time students must carry fewer than 12 credits hours. Students are considered a freshman until they have completed 30 course credits. 

A partnership between Mrs. Priscilla McCall, trustee of the estate of Sam G. McCall Jr, and the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors is bringing free tuition to high school seniors of Tazewell County this fall. Tazewell County Connect graduates of Tazewell County Public Schools are able to receive free tuition. Students must first apply for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) because the tuition aid is only meant to cover what federal funding will not. Students must maintain a 2.0 Grade Point Average. Students graduating from private schools, home schools, or receiving their GED are also eligible for Tazewell County Connect.  Students will need to enroll in a minimum of six tuition-free credit hours each semester. Participation in the College’s “Eagle Project” Days of Service will also be required. The cost of books is not included in the Tazewell County Connect, but students can apply for scholarships to help offset the cost. 

Many scholarships are available to students. Please see Mrs. Proffitt, Mrs. Cook, or visit the Guidance tab on the Graham High School webpage to see the many scholarships offered to students.  For more information about Southwest Virginia Community College talk to Stephanie Seymore, or visit https://sw.edu/