Students take leap to online learning

Due to COVID-19, some of the students of Tazewell County have been doing online learning for the 2020-2021 school year. Students are going on three months as of November 2020 and there doesn’t look like any changes for the next six weeks. 

The significant benefit of online learning is that it can extend time and space. Students do not have to be in the same room as the instructor to get course-related information. Flexibility allows students to have the freedom to juggle their careers and school because they aren’t tied down to a fixed schedule. Online learning also teaches students time management. Students have the responsibility to turn things in on time, to plan things out, and be able to do work when they want to.

Madison Shupe (12) said, “I enjoy online learning. I feel more free and I feel like I have more time to go out with friends and to go shop for my grandpa. I love not having to wake up early and can do things from home. I enjoy that I don’t have to stay in a classroom when I am done with work. I love being able to do work when I want to and turn it in when I want to.”

Another benefit of online learning is that people who have autoimmune diseases or a poor immune system have a less chance to get sick. 

Kara Murphy (12) said, “I like online learning because I’m not getting sick as often by staying home. All that I do is my schoolwork. I don’t have time for anything else because all the teachers are assigning so much work, and it doesn’t help that I’m not a genius when it comes to the internet. I also think that the teachers should record the class periods, so that the people at home won’t have issues understanding the assignments.”

Online learning comes with its own set of challenges. One challenge is that the teachers can send too much work. Students don’t have enough time to do chores or other stuff that they need to do. Another challenge is that students don’t have a teacher right in front of them. When they ask for help, sometimes students have to wait hours or until school lets out to get a response. By then they students have tried to finish their assignment or just gave a teacher half of the answer. Some students say that they are self teaching themselves.

Sierra Beckett (12) said, “Some challenges are definitely learning that I can’t ask for help right away. I have to wait a couple of hours, or I have to wait all day to get a response.”

Some online students say there needs to be some changes for online learning. Like, when teachers are teaching they need to record the class, so the online students know exactly what is going on. Some teachers just give assignments and never give examples and they simply don’t teach the lesson. Online students can easily cheat on tests and get away with it. Teachers should find a way to keep online students from cheating on tests. All and all online schooling has its advantages and disadvantages. There will always be someone that has a problem with the way things are being run. Both teachers and students are learning in this unusual situation.