Benson sets school record in CC, leading team to victory

Only a few days after competing at the state swim meet, senior Katie Benson reminded everyone that she happens to be a pretty good runner as well. Competing in her first cross-country meet of the season Benson torched the competition on a hot day at Sugar Hollow Park in Bristol, VA. Benson’s time of 19:44 on the 3 mile course was almost 5 minutes faster than the second place finisher and established a new Graham Girls Cross Country Record! Wow! Can’t wait to see what she does the rest of the season! 

Girls: 

Sophomore Lauren Pearce turned in her second straight top ten performance, taking 7th in 27:19. Pushing Pearce the entire race was Junior Lydia Hill 8th with a 27:21. Also breaking into the top ten was Rebecca Smith (10th) with a time of 28:59 followed closely by sophomore Rachel White (11th) posting a 29:16. 

Boys: 

Junior Carter Nipper led the boy’s team with another strong performance placing 6th with a 20:14 in the heat. Freshman Michael Guzy continues to improve with a 22:16 finishing just outside of the top ten at 11th. Sophomore Bryce Havens used a mid-race surge to leave a trio of Richlands runners in his dust as he cruised in unchallenged at 16th with a 23:25. Recovering from an injury, Freshman Noah Lester put on a gutsy performance as he covered the hot & hilly 3-mile course in 32:56 placing 29th

Next up for the G-Men is another District Competition at Hungry Mother Park in Marion on March 17th and/or March 20th