Graham Foundation assures academic excellence continues at GHS

Mrs. Joanne Young, Abby Gasperson, and Mr. Brad Carr receive a check for the Graham High School Academic Foundation from Mr. Don Mullins and Mrs. Amy Stowers.

On Thursday, May 13, representatives from the Graham High School Academic Foundation presented a $50,000 check to Graham High. Mr. Don Mullins, representative from the Benjamin Light Trust, presented the check to Principal Brad Carr. Mrs. Amy Stowers represented the Graham Foundation during the presentation. 

The Graham Foundation was established 22 years ago for the purpose of assisting with academic needs for Graham High School. Recently, the Foundation has helped with interactive software and scales for the science department, white boards for social studies, a printer for the art department and new chairs for the library. Other groups that have benefited from the Foundation include GHS Press, FBLA, DECA, MACC, and MGA. MGA has received money for entry fees from the Foundation. “It’s helped to pay for students to actually make it to Richmond,” Mr. Lee Brown, MGA sponsor, said. “Without [the Foundation],  we couldn’t have done it.”

“The Foundation helps a lot with student participation in conferences and competitions,” Mrs. Dee Shoemaker, DECA sponsor, said. With DECA, they’ve helped with state and national conference costs. They also helped with any technical or equipment issues that they needed covered.

There is also an annual banquet that highlights student achievements. “The Annual Awards Banquet is a great opportunity for students to be recognized in the arts and in academics,” Shoemaker said. “It’s also an opportunity for the high school to recognize and thank the Foundation, along with its donors.” The community has been tremendously supportive of the high school and the Foundation. Due to Covid restrictions, this year a video honoring student’s excellence in arts and academics will be released on social media in lieu of the banquet.

“There are a lot of things that we couldn’t do without [the Foundation] to make the student experience here at Graham High School what it is. We’re very appreciative of their help not only to raise money but also their willingness to spend it on our students and our teachers,” Mr. Carr said.